Question concerning shape of post-synaptic potentials

Charles Schmitt schmitt at cs.unc.edu
Thu Jul 25 12:02:43 EST 1996

Hi, I have a question concerning the shape of post synpatic potentials
that I thought someone on this newsgroup might be able to answer, or
possibly point me in the right direction.  From my understanding a
pre-synaptic neuron elicits a PSP in a post-synaptic neuron with a
given shape that, while not strictly the same over time, is fairly
constant.  By shape I'm referring to the rise-time, amplitude, decay
time, etc...  Is this correct?  Also, are there mechanisms which are
capable of making significant changes in the shape of the PSP in
a short time span (1-50ms).  More specifically, can a PSP which is
normally of long duration and low amplitude be modulated by pre,post,
or external influences into a PSP of short duration and high amplitude,
and vice versa.

Thanks for any insight,

Charlie.