Antique Electric Neuro Stimulator

Richard Kerr kerrr at CRYPTIC.RCH.UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Thu Jul 25 18:33:24 EST 1996

At 10:02 25/07/96 -0400, you wrote:

>                                                    __
>Dave Rule, Ph.D.                                   |  |
>Assist. Prof. of Educational Psychology        ____|  |____
>Marist College                                |____   _____|
>Poughkeepsie, NY  12601-1387                       |  |
>Voice: (914) 575-3000, ext. 2979                   |  |
>Internet: David.Rule at Marist.edu                    |__|
>
>    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of all knowledge
>                      (Proverbs 1:7a)

Dave, this is probably the cleverest piece of flamebait that I have seen in
a while, as it has no abusive language whatsoever.

I don't object to your Christian symbol, it does not harm nor offend me.
What I do object to is the overbearing patriachial nature of the quotation.
How can fear be a basis for knowledge?  What happened to good old curiosity
?  what happened to delighting in the world around you yet recognizing that
you are on it for a short time ? What does this say about the system of
tutoring at your college, indeed what does it say about you and your
relationship with the world?

The portrayal of a supreme being as a force to be feared seesms to be a
little backward doesn't it.  If a bunch of "cannibals" on a remote Pacific
island threw virgins into a volcano to appease a angry God that lived in the
volcano, wouldn't they be acting out of fear ?  Wouldn't they be derided as
"savages" or < insert dehumanizing phrase here>. Yet you deliver a quotation
warning us of a God to be feared......haven't you cleaned out your irony
filter today?

I would think again about sending my offspring to your college....It's not
good publicity you are spreading here, if it is accurate then perhaps the
message should be shortened to "BEWARE."
Richard.