Positions available

Sylwestera sylwestera at aol.com
Sat Jul 27 11:01:37 EST 1996

Post-doctoral and Graduate Student Positions

Our lab is interested in the mechanisms of nervous system development,
function and adaptive plasticity. We focus on the synapse as the key site
of information transfer within the nervous system. Our approach is to
generate genetic mutants which perturb synapse function and characterize
such mutants at an electrophysiological, ultrastructural, molecular and
genetic level. In our work, we use the classical genetic workhorse,
Drosophila melanogaster. Our aim is to systematically uncover the genetic
and molecular mechanisms by which synapses form and function. Our work has
important impact on the fields of neural circuit formation,
neurotransmission and higher synaptic functions such as learning and
memory.

We have recently moved our lab from Cambridge, England to the University
of
Utah in Salt Lake City. Utah has an outstanding biological research
community with particular strengths in genetics (5 Drosophila labs, 3 C.
elegans labs and a huge mouse operation) and neurobiology (60+ labs). In
addition, we are living in perhaps the most stunning wild country in
America. This includes immediate access to mountains (High Unitas,
Wasatch,
Rockies), some of the best skiing in the world (6 major resorts within 1
hr
drive of the city center) and the amazing canyonlands of southern Utah
(Arches, Canyon Lands, Capital Reef, Bryce Canyon and Zion National
Parks).
In addition, we have the comforts of a large city (Salt Lake area 1
million
+) with excellent parks, theatre, dance, music and restaurants from which
to choose.

We are looking for post-doctoral fellows (and graduate students) to join
our new lab. We are particularly interested in people with expertise in
molecular biology techniques and genetics experience (especially in
Drosophila). We are also interested in cell biologists, particularly those
with expertise in electrophysiology (patch-clamp and two-electrode voltage
clamp) and anatomy (EM ultrastructure and confocal). If you are interested
in this exciting opportunity, we welcome more detailed inquiries.

The salary  will be in the range of $22-28,000 per year, commensurate with
experience. The successful candidate will be expected to raise his/her own
salary from independent sources following the initial 6 months. Grant
applications will be written with the active assistance of the PI. Given
the lengthy duration of the grant review process we strongly encourage
those interested to contact us at least a year prior to the anticipated
start date. Those interested should contact me with inquiries and/or
applications including CV and a letter describing present situation and
interest in joining the lab.

Dr. Kendal S. Broadie
Department of Biology
University of Utah