neurophysiology

Craig Hull c.hull at ento.uq.edu.au
Wed Jul 31 17:06:45 EST 1996

Yuri Saalmann wrote:

> With the arbitrary nature of reality expounded by quantum
> gravitationalists, what intrinsic value does neurophysiological research
> hold?

I am not keeping up with theories of quantum gravitational effects,
but never the less I think that there are some valid reasons for doing
neurophysiological research. Working with neurophysiology is
essentially about understanding how multicellular organism extract and
process relevant information from an apparently chaotic (or at least
noisy) environment. That is, neurophysiology is relevant within the
sphere of compexity comprising multicellular organisms. Regardless of
what is actually happening at the sphere of quantum effects, the
interaction of cellular organisms with the universe is modulated by
what information is received at the supra-quantum level (i.e.
molecular and cellular level). Therefore I think that the value of
neurophysiological research applies outside the sphere of quantum
mechanics.

(I'd be interested in reading about quantum gravitational theories if
anyone wants to mail me some good references).

Cheers,
Craig.