Neuropathy & early childhood polio

Matthew O. Fraser mof at prophet.pharm.pitt.edu
Wed Jul 31 19:01:37 EST 1996

In article <31F7BB1F.6E5E at innova.net>, Carlos Luria <cdluria at innova.net> wrote:

> I am a 68 year old male suffering from a very mild case of heredi-
> tary ataxia, aggravated by a slowly increasing neuropathy. It is the
> precise control of my lower legs and feet that appears to be most
> affected.
>
> I contracted what was diagnosed as polio at the age of six and it
> affected my feet and legs only. After a year of physical therapy I
> was able to walk normally once again and the incident faded from memory.
> But recently I read about a post-polio syndrome that may develop in
> older persons, and I'm curious whether there is any link between that
> and the ataxia or neuropathy.
>
> Please respond by e-mail as I do not check this news group very often.
>
> cdluria at innova.net

Hi Carlos,

The answer is yes.  Post-polio syndrome is "stage two" of the polio
infection.  If you want I can look up the Web Site that I know of that is
devoted entirely to the subject.  Also, there is a newsgroup devoted to
it.  You may want to check it out.

Regards,

Matt

--
Matthew O. Fraser                    "If you can't answer a man's
Department of Pharmacology            arguments, all is not lost.