Effect of electric toothbrush on Visual Perception

Michael Gillespi Steele mikeg994 at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jun 1 06:13:24 EST 1996

Maybe some of you neuroscience folks can answer me this one:

As I was brushing my teeth with an electric toothbrush, I happened to
look obliquely at my computer monitor screen and noticed that while I
was doing this the screen seemed to flicker or vibrate.  Only the
screen.

When I shut off the toothbrush, nothing.  When I took the toothbrush
out of my mouth and left it on, aiming it at the monitor, nothing.
When I created the same sound as the toothbrush made in my mouth by
pressing it while it was turned on into my hand, nothing.

My guess is that the sensation of the toothbrush on my teeth does
something to my visual perception.  I realize that a computer screen,
like a TV set is essentially a fast strobe light.   Is there a name for
this, or am I having a seizure?

-Mike
MikeG994 at ix.netcom.com