How to find Net access to SB 1028 - Kassenbaum-Kennedy health bill

JMRoraback at aol.com JMRoraback at aol.com
Mon Jun 3 11:46:19 EST 1996

List members,

A number of persons have e-mailed me asking me more about the
Kassembaum/Kennedy bill (SB 1028).

I had simply forwarded Dr. Rosenberg's posting regarding the Wall Street
Journal article and have not seen the article myself, though I intend to do
so.

As you remeber, his posting summarized a WSJ article by a Dr. Orient which
 described a number of sub-parts to this bill which would place many
potential fines and causes for imprisonment on fee-for-service providers of
healthcare for, among other things, inaccuracies in CPT coding, and providing
pro bono care. The same article that Dr. Rosenberg abstracted noted that HMOs
and their employees were exempted from these same provisions.

I do not have more detailed information regarding SB 1028 at hand, but I am
offering below the URL address of the THOMAS: (Legislative Information on the
Internet) Web server site which carries summaries and full text versions of
all US Federal bills before the Senate and house and which are downloadable.
There is other information concernig legislation at this site as well. The
URL address is:

     http://thomas.loc.gov/

I recommend that you visit this site with your Web browser to note other
significant legislation currently pending which relates to healthcare and
mental health.

I have not yet read this bill myself, but I intend to do so tomorrow. I
wished to first get this message out to all of you.

If you wish to go directly to the full text download area for SB 1028, enter
in your Web browser the URL:

     http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c104:S.1028:

The full text of the SB 1028  is about 151 k bytes, or about a 10 minute
download if you use a modem operating at 14.4 kps. This, of course, is
slightly larger than the capacity of standard 3.5" floppy disk.

The summary of SB 1028, from which much detail appears to be omitted, is at
the URL:

     http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/D?d104:44:./temp/~d104lz2d:@@@D

At present, SB 1028 has a large number of co-sponsors. It is likely that one
of your Senators is a co-sponsor. You also can check on who is co-sponsoring
the bill at the Thomas site as well.

Regards,

    John
  John M. Roraback, Ph.D.   <jmroraback at aol.com>