Amygdala who cares (about Human Pheromones)

Jim Kohl jkohl at vegas.infi.net
Fri Jun 7 01:00:51 EST 1996

In article <Pine.3.89.9606042143.B6205-0100000 at lex.lccc.edu>,
rcb1 at LEX.LCCC.EDU says...

>Jim,
>I see nothing wrong about suspecting a link cross-species for behavior
>and neurological function.  Unless it is characteristic of humans NOT
>to be like another species or the other species just happens to be
>different, I believe it is reasonable safe to look for generalities.
>
>Humans do NOT occupy a privileged position in life.  We are more like
>others species than different.

I agree, Ron. My cross-species comparisons are of the mammalian
neuroendocrinological type. Simply put, mammalian pheromones appear to
activate gene expression in neurosecretory tissue of the brain, the most
important organ of any organ system involved in behavior. More simply
put, pheromones are the only social-environmental sensory stimuli known
to activate the following pathway: gene-cell-tissue-organ-organ system,
which is linked to behavior.

My comments on estradiol content in the amygdala and cross-species
comparisons were intended to give credence to the role of the amygdala in
olfactory signal transduction. This role may be extremely important to
mammalian, including human,
olfactory-genetic-neuronal-hormonal-behavioral reciprocity.

Perhaps human pheromones elicit the "right" occilations that in turn
elicit changes in gondatropin-releasing hormone pulsatility (the
biological core of mammalian reproduction). If so, we may one day be able
to merge our concepts into a cohesive explanation of a link between the
genetic nature and the social-environmental nurture of human behavior.

Jim Kohl
http://www.pheromones.com