Identification of components of odor mixtures

Ron Blue rcb1 at LEX.LCCC.EDU
Thu Jun 13 12:02:15 EST 1996

On 31 May 1996, TNickell wrote:
> IDENTIFICATION OF THE COMPONENTS OF ODOR MIXTURES FROM RESPONSES OF MANY
> CLASSES OF PRIMARY OLFACTORY NEURONS
>
> William T. Nickell
>
> ABSTRACT
> The vertebrate olfactory system poorly identifies the components of an
> odor mixture. This may be a consequence of olfactory coding:  if primary
Gray's comments at neur-sci got me thinking about olfaction.
Assume a basic carrier reference frequency say 20 hertz.  By always having
the same frequency for all olfaction neurons and then overwriting the
oscillation with neuro firings which encode the oscillation or viberation
of the different shapes of an odor chemical a consistent reliable
average egg pattern should be created.  Ron Blue