Eidetic imagery and fantasy prone people/the occult

Darren Poulton s340222 at student.uq.edu.au
Thu Jun 20 10:31:05 EST 1996

Xochi,
	I know nothing of 'eidetic' imaginations, I do, however, know of 'eidetic
imagery' and by the way.....thanks for a post which managed to insult me on multiple
levels.

Eidetic Imagery is the 'technical term' for what is commonly known as a photographic
memory. The rare individual who posesses this talent also perform amazingly well with
imagery tasks. Nowhere in my understanding is Eidetic Imagery linked with imagination.

> I'm of the suspicion that a good many people who actively practice magic,
> witchcraft, etc. have eidetic imaginations...

Oh are you now?

> ...the presence of eidetic
> imagery in these people might go a long way in explaining how they come
> to have such strange beliefs and how they can seriously make the strange
> claims that they do.

What you so casually pass off as 'delusions' are the beliefs of a great many people in
this world. How dare you! Your ignorance of a belief system doesn't give you the right
to judge its validity. Let me ask what you base your judgement upon.

> One thing I've noticed personally about such people is that they're often
> obsessed with fantasy literature (i.e. "I've read all of Piers Anthony's
> 400 novels") and that many happen to be artists.

I enjoy fantasy novels, so do a great many more than 1% to 6% of the population, that's
why there's so much of it in the bookstores. I realise that as scientists we must make
generalisations, but these generalisations are unfounded, unsound, and unworthy of my
further consideration. You are a poor scientist sir (if indeed you are one at all...).

> I need this information for a bibliography of skeptical works on witchcraft,
> magic, and miracles I've been working on. Any books on how people come to
> have these odd beliefs are welcome.

A bibliography of skeptical works? Good on you! A sound idea and worthy of my attention,
but please restrain yourself from calling my beliefs 'odd'!

> ...explaining how they come to have such strange beliefs and how they can seriously > make the strange claims that they do.
> ...often obsessed with fantasy literature...
> ...and that many happen to be artists.
> ...how people come to have these odd beliefs...

Sounds as though your study is biased......

> | Xochi Zen        "William James used to preach the 'will to believe.' For   |
> | x at apocalypse.org  my part, I should wish to preach the 'will to doubt.' ... |
> |                   What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the wish to|
> |                   find out, which is the exact opposite" - Bertrand Russell |

You don't have a wish to find out, you have the exact opposite - the wish to put down
that which you don't understand. As Bertrand Russell would understand.

"Reason is a virtue - Faith is a sin"
				-Cameron S. Boyd
				(Fantasy Writer)