Botox

Floyd E. Bloom fbloom at scripps.edu
Sun Jun 30 21:10:06 EST 1996

In article <4r6bkt$8i1 at mtinsc01-mgt.ops.worldnet.att.net>, albe at cnct.com
(Alan Fried) wrote:

> cbrewer at chevalley.helios.nd.edu (cathy brewer) wrote:
>

> >I am very interested in knowing more about this drug. Any and all
> >info appreciated.
> >Thank you.

According to my sources Botulinum Toxin is approved for clinical use in
cases of strabismus (crossed eyes) , blepharospasm (spastic eye lids) and
disorders of the seventh (facial) cranial nerve disorders (like a Bell's
palsy that leads to spasms in the face) in people older than 7.  It is
also used for other purposes like wry neck (tense neck muscles) and focal
spastic muscles that can occur after strokes, and in some cases for
spastic back pain.  None of the latter are "approved" uses which means
that health insurance companies won't pay for them.