Interneural Radio Communication

Ron Blue rcb1 at LEX.LCCC.EDU
Mon Mar 4 08:59:37 EST 1996

On Fri, 1 Mar 1996, headwave wrote:

> 	Consider that some cells evolved with the capacity to
> communicate via emitted waves. This has already been observed,
> technically, in the case of the fire-fly and similar organisms
> with organs that emit electromagnetic energy, visible light,
> which is detected by organs sensitive to it.
granted.
> 	Could nerve cells have developed a similar ability?
yes, a possibility.
> Could nerve cells, instead of emitting visible energy, emit
> far-infrared, or microwaves, or radio waves?
This is a physic question.  Physically, I believe the answer would be no.
> Could nerve cells
> respond to this energy?
yes.  I believe it would easier to respond to the above energies than
to produce them.  Rats for example can sense radiation and will try to
avoid it.  This does not mean that they produce radiation.
> A general rule that I have, in this
> case applied to nature, is that if something can happen, it
> will.
there is merit to this statement.
>	I, for one, do not see anything precluding the
> existence of interneural radio communication.
Do some basic reading on HOW radio waves are made.
> 	Radio cells? Not proven but not impossible, I think.
> We may be "bumping" into each other with invisible beacons
> of electromagnetic energy.
granted that cells are sensitive to modulations of electrical fields.
so I would agree in principle that nerve cells could receive information
using this procedure.  However, the problem is the production of such
energy.

Nature usually builds on the sucess of the past.  Since the production
has to come first no cells would have specialized in receiving radio
messages.  There is no reason to produce or process information in
the radio range.
Ron Blue