Development of neurones

Alexander Reiprich reiprich at uni-duesseldorf.de
Thu Mar 7 04:36:19 EST 1996

In article <4hjrum$aq4 at roger.interlynx.net> lthomsen at interlynx.net (Lars Thomsen) writes:
>ssport.ca!grumpy.insinc.net!roger.interlynx.net!news
>From: lthomsen at interlynx.net (Lars Thomsen)
>Newsgroups: bionet.neuroscience
>Subject: Development of neurones
>Date: Wed, 06 Mar 1996 14:14:07 GMT

>Dear bionet readers

>I am wondering about when it is possible to say that the single
>neurones with their specific characteristica is finally developed ?

Can we define anyway an end of neuronal development?
Certainly neurones derive from neuroblasts and migrate to their destination in
the brain. They also can be electrophysiologically defined as inhibitory or
excitatory at a certain postnatal stage of development.
But doesn't plasticity imply that there is no defined and unchangeable
fixpoint in the life of a neurone? I think that our present knowledge about
synaptic plasticity, LTP, LTD and all the known changes of receptor subunits
etc. suggests that the death of a neurone has to be seen as its final
development. Every *picture* we take of a neurone with our present techiques
just can describe a short episode of its life.
I wonder what other people think about this!