Help with simulation studies

Paul Bush paul at phy.ucsf.edu
Fri Mar 8 14:41:11 EST 1996

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.960306162334.1505B-100000 at ursa.cus.cam.ac.uk>, Samit <sc203 at cus.cam.ac.uk> writes:
|> I am a pure biologist with absolutely no knowledge of Network and other
|> simulation packages available to simulate Neural functioning.
|> The reason for this mail is that I want to put my data on a a simulated
|> neural system with the variables that I believe are responsible for what we
|> observe during our experimental procedures.
|> I wanted it to be quick as I want to use as a part of my Doctoral work,
|> which has to be completed by 1997.
|> i am ready to buy it if necessary, but I would first like to have a few
|> pointers to be able to decide which would be the best to go for.
|> It would also be appreciated if some of those who have a very similar
|> background and have used simulation packages, give me their opinions
|> about what one should expect from the package and how far it is really
|> provided.
|> Thanking you
|> Samit
|> sc203 at cus.cam.ac.uk

You need to give more information about what you are trying to do, otherwise its
difficult to recommend suitable software. From what you do say, I would think
that NEURON would be a good choice. You can get it for free from:

ftp.nnc.yale.edu:neuron/

It will take about a month to learn, assuming you are already familiar with
neural biophysics.

Paul