Lesch-Nyhan question

Pietr Hitzig 0202319473539538 at 109KMS5JC0II
Sat Mar 9 22:44:06 EST 1996

First of all, I am having a glitch. Could you forward my comments on to
the writer of this thread.

Very briefly, the combo of a dopamine (DA) and a serotonin (5-HT) agonist
stops OCD in their tracks.

The L-N patient has all the characteristics of very low 5-HT,
self-mutilation, agressive behavior and impulsivity associated with low
DA (decreased cognitive skills and despair.

An Italian family is interested in starting what I have called
the FEN/PHEN protocol. Are you interested in more
details?

>rumneyp at interlog.com (Peter Rumney M.D.) wrote:
>In article <DnnDv9.2vJ at murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>,
>dsc9w at avery.med.Virginia.EDU (David Cassarino) wrote:
>
>> From what I've read, the neural basis for the self-mutilation
>> in Lesch-Nyan is not at all understood.  However, you might
>> want to check medline for current theories.
>> --
>> David S. Cassarino              "The mind is not a vessel to be filled
>> MSTP 2nd Year                    but a fire to be kindled."
>> UVA School of Medicine           -Plutarch
>> dsc9w at virginia.edu

P.S. Plutarch's fire and kindling is dopamine, Freud's ID.

     Freud's superego is serotonin.