Interneural Radio Communication

Danny Banks D.Banks at surrey.ac.uk
Mon Mar 11 09:10:53 EST 1996

In article <00003387+00000f59 at msn.com>, RNorman at msn.com (Richard Norman) wrote:

[sorry - don't know where the double quoted bit came from - Danny]
[stuff cut]
> > With this external current being
> >*longitudinal*, there would be significant magnetic fields during
> >the transmission of pulses

[snip]

> I actually once calculated the magnitude of the magnetic fields
> produced by membrane and longitudinal currents

[more cut]

Some measurements have been made of biomagnetic fields due to the compound
action potential in a crayfish nerve preparation. I don't really know enough
about the subject to comment. Better to seek out the paper:

D Leech, GA Rechnitz. "Biomagnetic Neurosensors", Anal. Chem., 65, 1993,
pp 3262-3266

In this case, the signals were picked up by a ferrite core toroid surrounding
the nerve.

This is probably digressing from the thread - I hope someone finds it
interesting.

Danny.

--
Danny Banks.                                               D.Banks at surrey.ac.uk