LTP via NMDA in neocortex

Neal Prakash eamg061 at taurus.oac.uci.edu
Tue Mar 12 13:34:36 EST 1996

> Perhaps I could elaborate a bit.  To definitively _PROVE_ that
> LTP is the neural/cellular correlate of learning and/or memory,
> it would be necessary to record changes in synaptic efficacy
> while the animal is actively engaged in the learning process.
> Typically, this has been addressed using extracellular recordings
> of field potentials.  It _may_ (highly qualified statement ahead)
> be that to pick up the subtle changes that occur during learning
> it is necessary to have a more sensitive measure (which may be
> beyond our technical know-how).  That is, feild potentials record

this is not entirely beyond out technical ability--check out much of the
work done by, for example, LB Cohen, A Grivnald, RD Frostig, EE Lieke in
the 1970's-present using voltage sensitive-dyes and/or intrinsic signal
optical imaging.

Granted learning paradigms are difficult to check with these
methods because of
the need for non-anesthetized animals.  but the possibilty of observing
functional plasticity in multiple (subthreshold) neurons is definitely
feasible.  in
fact it is already being done--check out Masino, SA et al, PNAS, in press
(1996).

> ALL activity near the electrode, but it may be that only a few
> synapses were actually involved in the specific learning paradigm
> that is employed.  Of course, the other end of this spectrum is
> that recordings using intracellular electrodes (in vivo) may be
> TOO specific, i.e. recording from one neuron that may or may not
> be involved in the specific learning task.

-neal prakash

http://meded.com.uci.edu:80/~nprakash/neal.html