LTP via NMDA in neocortex

brad nkeele at
Tue Mar 12 10:22:11 EST 1996

OK, good point Bill.

Perhaps I could elaborate a bit.  To definitively _PROVE_ that
LTP is the neural/cellular correlate of learning and/or memory,
it would be necessary to record changes in synaptic efficacy
while the animal is actively engaged in the learning process.
Typically, this has been addressed using extracellular recordings
of field potentials.  It _may_ (highly qualified statement ahead)
be that to pick up the subtle changes that occur during learning
it is necessary to have a more sensitive measure (which may be
beyond our technical know-how).  That is, feild potentials record
ALL activity near the electrode, but it may be that only a few
synapses were actually involved in the specific learning paradigm
that is employed.  Of course, the other end of this spectrum is
that recordings using intracellular electrodes (in vivo) may be
TOO specific, i.e. recording from one neuron that may or may not
be involved in the specific learning task.

PS: I like your mail server - IMO, the amygdala is a great part
of the brain to be in just now.

In article <BILL.96Mar11134633 at>,
bill at says...
>nkeele at (brad) writes:
>   > . . . Another approach is to demonstrate that LTP
>   > actually occurs while learning/memory is taking place
>   > can't be addressed with the technology available today).
>The problem is not so much inadequate technology as inadequate
>understanding of the molecular basis of LTP.  LTP is a
>change in synaptic efficacy induced by strong, repetitive
>of certain pathways in the hippocampus.  Unfortunately, we don't
>fully understand the molecular changes that underlie this change
>efficacy -- we understand a lot, and a little more each year,
but not
>yet the whole story.  Consequently, when we perform a learning
>experiment and observe a change in synaptic efficacy -- and this
>certainly been done -- we can never be quite sure that the
>basis of this change is the same as the molecular basis of LTP.
 If we
>really knew what LTP is, we would probably have the technology
>recognize it.
>        -- Bill

N. Bradley Keele
Neuroscience Graduate Program