Organisms using a single neurotransmitter

Ron Blue rcb1 at LEX.LCCC.EDU
Thu Mar 14 09:17:19 EST 1996

On Wed, 13 Mar 1996, Sandra L Wegert wrote:
> On 12 Mar 1996, JONES MICHAEL STEPHEN wrote:
> > Is anyone aware of an organism that uses only a single
> > neurotransmitter?
>
> Cool question, but it seems that if an organism HAS nerves, it
> usually uses many of the same NT's that we do.  I searched that
> jumbled mess in my head for an answer, and the only thing I came
> up with was - get this- slime molds.  Yep.  They use cAMP to
> aggregate.  This doesn't really "count" as a NT-like function, but
> I think that's the only chemical messenger they use (please check,
> though).  My two pesos...  :)
> sandraw at U.Arizona.EDU
cAMP is a NT and was recently connected to pain perception.
So slime molds could have started the whole ball of wax by using
cAMP to emit reflex responses to danger.  The gene code could
have been picked up by bacteria.  Ron Blue