Organisms using a single neurotransmitter

Sandra L Wegert sandraw at U.Arizona.EDU
Thu Mar 14 01:15:54 EST 1996

On 12 Mar 1996, JONES MICHAEL STEPHEN wrote:

> Is anyone aware of an organism that uses only a single
> neurotransmitter?

Cool question, but it seems that if an organism HAS nerves, it
usually uses many of the same NT's that we do.  I searched that
jumbled mess in my head for an answer, and the only thing I came
up with was - get this- slime molds.  Yep.  They use cAMP to
aggregate.  This doesn't really "count" as a NT-like function, but
I think that's the only chemical messenger they use (please check,
though).  My two pesos...  :)