Estradiol Masculinizes Hypothalamus?

Pentti Degerstr|m trpede at uta.fi
Thu Mar 21 13:13:02 EST 1996

I wrote:

> Alpha-fetoprotein binds estrogen so only testosterone
> enters the cell (during critical period in pregnancy) and
> is aromatized to estradiol after entering. Could defects
> in this mechanism be the cause for homosexual behavior?

I feel safer to use a direct quote from James W. Kalat's
book Biological Psychology (4th ed.):

"According to studies on rodents, testosterone exerts a
major part of its effect on the hypothalamus through a
surprising route: After it enters a neuron, it is converted
to estradiol!" ... "An enzyme found in brain can aromatize
testosterone into estradiol." ... "Moreover, drugs that
prevent testosterone from being aromatized to estradiol
block the organizing effects of testosterone on sexual
development. Apparently, androgens must be aromatized to
estrogens to exert their organizing effects on the
hypothalamus. Why, then, is the female not masculinized by
her own estradiol? During the early critical period,
immature mammals of most species have in their bloodstream a
protein called alpha-fetoprotein, which is not present in
adults (Gorski, 1980; Maclusky & Naftolin, 1981).
Alpha-protein binds with estrogen and blocks it from leaving
the bloodstream and entering cells that are developing in
this early period. Nonrodents have additional mechanisms for
inactivating estrogen; for example, it is likely that infant
primates break down estrogens into inactive substances. In
any event, testosterone is neither bound to
alpha-fetoprotein nor metabolized; it is free to enter the
cells, where enzymes convert it into estradiol. That is,
testosterone is a way of getting estradiol into the cells
when estradiol itself cannot leave the blood. This
explanation of testosterone's effects enables us to make
sense of an otherwise puzzling fact: Although normal amounts
of estradiol have little effect on early development, an
injection of a larger amount actually masculinizes a
female's development. The reason is that normal amounts are
bound to alpha-fetoprotein or metabolized, whereas a larger
amount may exceed the body's capacity for inactivation; the
excess is thus able to enter the cells and masculinize
them."  pp. 428-429

"Ingeborg Ward (1972, 1977) exposed pregnant rats to a
"stressful" experience during the final week of pregnancy
.." "Such stress decreases brain levels of aromatase, the
enzyme that converts testosterone into estradiol, which is
necessary for masculinization of the hypothalamus (Weisz,
Brown, & Ward, 1982). The stress caused the mothers to
produce large amounts of adrenal hormones, which crossed
into the fetuses' bloodstream and may have competitively
inhibited the actions of testosterone. The stress also
caused the male fetuses to produce their peak testosterone
levels a day or two earlier than usual, before the critical
period for brain differentiation (Ward & Weisz, 1980)." p.
444

"Some pregnant women take the synthetic estrogen
diethylstilbestrol (DES) to prevent miscarriage or to deal
with other problems. DES can exert masculinizing effects
similar to those of testosterone." p. 445

Harper's Biochemistry (23rd ed.):
"A small percentage of testosterone is also converted into
estradiol by aromatization, a reaction that is especially
important in the brain, where these hormones help determine
the sexual behavior of the animal." p. 545

I was also suggested to refer to works by John Money and the
book, "The feminized brain" by Simon LeVay, and to Perkins,
Fitzgerald & Moss (1995) (which I haven't done yet). Thank
you, Larry S. and Jim K.

P.D.