is the interosseus membrane of the leg perforated by nerves ?

Peter Ashby p-ashby at uk.ac.mrc.nimr
Fri Mar 29 05:49:47 EST 1996

In Article <4jerqa$9q0 at news.Belgium.EU.net>, Willy VAN CAMMEREN
<willy.vancammeren at electrabel.be> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm looking for detailed info on the interosseus membrane of the leg.
>Especially I would like to know wether the membrane is perforated by nerves
>or not ?
>
>I need this info for an essay.

In the mouse the interosseous membrane is not perforated by any nerves.  The
nerves display a strict compartmental restriction and can't/won't generally
cross compartmental boundaries.  This is also true in the foot where nerves
don't cross between the metatarsals.  I know of no reason to assume the same
is not true in the human.

Peter
Peter Ashby                             National Institute for Medical Research
Eukaryotic Molecular Genetics           London, England