Succubus?

Ming euming at netcom.com
Tue Nov 5 04:00:19 EST 1996

"Milo D. Cooper" <mdcooper at ix.netcom.com> writes:

>	Actually, no, this is pretty friggin' cool info, Ken!
>That sleep paralysis thing has happened to me a couple of times,
>and yes, it's a trip, to say the least.

There's a place in every person's brain which turns on the sleep
paralysis when they go to sleep, and turns it off when they wake up
(with more or less effectiveness as experienced by a few people here).

Now, not to alarm you or anything, but I know that the government
had been working on discovering exactly where this switch is---
locating it was relatively simple... they discovered the speech and
language comprehension areas of the brain (Werner's and Broca's areas)
similarly.  I think that the Nazis used their prisoners for this
research, and the US had continued their findings in order to find a
weapon which would literally paralyze their enemies.

The way it works is this:  There is a particular pattern of synapse
firings which signal the sleep paralysis part of the brain to begin
and end.  With two strong perpendicular interfering electromagnetic
signals, amplified nodes can be created in a 4inch x 4inch tetrahedral
pattern in space.  When the part of your brain corresponding to the
Wastokan area (named after its discoverer) comes close enough to the
amplified node, the electromagnetic forces induce a current along the
synapses which mimics the code given for sleep paralysis.  This creates
an invisible, inpenetrable "field mine" in space.  It's virtually impossible
to navigate through the field mine without your Wastokan area hitting
a node.

When you *do* hit a node, what you'll experience is a frightening
loss of muscle control.  You won't be able to move at all, although
you can still see, hear, and feel your immediate environment.  You'll
actually feel some pain when you fall to the ground.  After you fall,
your body will readjust and gradually "awaken", in the exact same way
as you experienced a gradual regaining of consciousness after a bout
with sleep paralysis.  If you're unfortunate enough to fall so that
your head lands right in a node, then you're not going to be able to
get up until field engineers turn off the field.

At this point, most victims usually tried to get right back up, even
though they might be a little bit confused.  What will happen is that
they'll hit another node, and will fall right back down again.  Most
people are too frightened to even try again when this happens, and
even if they do, their efforts are futile.

I worked at a company with a military contract making electronic parts.
We were never told what we were making.  We were just given the circuit
diagrams and some money to do it.  And you don't *ASK* them about it
either.  But I was a bit curious about exactly what it was we were
making, so I did a bit of research.  I found out from our shipping
company that they had shipped our parts off to some warehouse, but
weeks later, some other truck from the same shipping company would ship
to a place in Nevada.  You can get shipping records fairly easily, and
I matched other shipments which seemed to be in sync with our shipments
and traced them back to their home companies.  I rooted in the trash
of about 5 companies in 3 states (all thankfully in the midwest where
I lived at the time) to pick up the failed rejects of the projects for
about two weeks prior to the expected next shipment date per company.

I degummed the parts (they're always coated with a black gummy coating
to protect from the elements--- to meet mil specs).  Most of the stuff
was stuff I had seen before--- missile controllers, proximity detonators,
ABS brakes, security chips for cell phones, etc.  But some were weird
things which looked like they were rigged for more than the typical 5.0V
or 2.8V standard chipsets.

Well, when I got all the parts together and tried to make them do
something, it wasn't very interesting.  It'd emit some high frequency
EM stuff which would get picked up on our oscilloscopes, and that was
about it.  So I figured that it was some kind of ECM or ECCM or even
ECCCM... that's the kind of crazy stuff the military is into.  But I
had no idea it was even crazier than that!

Anyway, it was some definite pattern with a frequency of about 57.6 Hz,
which I guess is the frequency of the brain, if you wanted to tune into
it.  At the time, we thought it was odd, because any reasonable milspec
part should be at 60 Hz, not 57.6 Hz.  We figured it was because we got
the rejects.  (Side note:  I knew that from working in the industry,
that most rejected parts work electronically.  It's because they fail
the shock, temperature, humidity, and even visual inspection tests
that they'll be rejected.  That's why the military is always paying
600 bucks for toilets and wrenches--- 'cause they throw away perfectly
good stuff that don't pass milspecs.)

Well, as it turns out, they were just fine electronically.  But I didn't
find that out until a hacker friend of mine dropped by to look at it.
He said it was an interesting pattern, and asked me if I had listened
to it.  Plugging a signal into a speaker is sort of the electrical
engineering equivalent of a chemist tasting his concoction--- it won't
tell you much scientifically, and 90% of the time it'll be horrid, but
you might get something interesting the other 10% of the time.  So I
said nope, and we rigged up a speaker.  Well, it sounded like a boring
60 Hz tone to me, not very clear--- a little buzzing and a click, then
repeat.  Well, we hooked up a bunch of the parts from different companies,
including ours, and listened.  My hacker buddy was a big fan of Metallica,
and he could actually distinguish between the different buzzing noises
of the parts.  But I said that they were identical--- the military will
often build redundancy into their designs in order to have an overall
more reliable piece.  Nope, he said.  Different.  Well, since we had
just one speaker, and a cheap oscilloscope (okay, I built it from an
old Samsung black and white TV, so it could only hold one trace!), there
wasn't a good way for us to tell if the signals were different.

So we grabbed a couple of alligator leads and went out to my friend's
truck.  He's got a pretty nice setup in there--- I'm not much of an
audiophile, but he's really into it.  Anyway, the end of the story is,
we hook up two different parts to two different speakers.  I'll tell
ya, it was the scariest thing.  I swear I thought I had died.  As soon
as he clipped on those alligator leads, *BOOM*, we hit the ground.
The stereo wasn't even turned on--- it was just the current running
through two parts.  For about two minutes, I was on the ground shouting,
SHIT SHIT FUCK FUCK SHIT SHIT, but with no sound coming out of my mouth
and not being to move at all, thinking I had killed us both, or at
least permanently paralyzed us both--- and that the feds would probably
finish us off.  But after those two minutes (which seemed VEEERRRRYYY
long) passed, I heard my buddy screaming "SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT" and I
screamed as well "FUCK FUCK!"

I felt myself awakening, so I tried to move, and then it hit me again---
and I couldn't move or speak at all.  For another two minutes, I heard
my friend calling my name asking if I was alive, but I couldn't respond!
After that, I heard some kind of thump, and then silence.  When i started
regaining control of my body, I told him that I was okay, and to not move.
Whatever it was was triggered by motion.  Well, we were still pretty
scared, but we stayed still and tried to talk it through from opposite
sides of the truck.  We figured out that we could move our arms and legs
without losing control--- just our heads seemed to trigger the effect.
That seemed rather odd at the time, since that was unlike any kind of
motion detection system I knew about then.  Well, to make a long story
short, my buddy was able to unplug the alligator clips with his bare
feet (yes, quite a feat indeed!).

Anyway, after this incident, I did more careful research---  we actually
wore football helmets insulated with lead--- but later found that just
aluminum foil worked just as well.  We looked like total dorks in
aluminum foil covered football helmets, but no one else could see 'cause
they would just fall on the ground if they entered the garage!  Anyway,
I actually found quite a few articles about this phenomenon.  There's
a couple in _Proceedings_.  One in 1956 and one in 1987 (I think).

But I think that the information has since become classified.  Although
I think it would benefit the medical community, probably its uses are
more significant for the military.  Oh, and they stopped ordering those
parts from that company and the other companies as well.  I guess they
built as many as they'd need---  I think it was probably a prototype
experiment rather than a full system.  I would imagine that a full system
would be launched in geosynchronous orbit around our enemies or potential
enemies, and would contain devices capable of thousands of times the
output of our models.

Well, that's all for now,
Ming

PS - that stuff about the Succubus sitting on your chest when you wake
     up from sleep paralysis is absurd.  I've done it plenty of times,
     and there's no succubus.  It's just a couple of 57.6 Hz signals.

Eu-Ming Lee  euming at netcom.com ming at interaccess.com
"Are your heart-strings connected to the poison
 coming out your mouth?" -Belly