Question on the power of "Hope"

arandia arandia at bway.net
Thu Nov 7 00:19:36 EST 1996

Wolseley B. Shoninger (lap001 at freenet.mb.ca) wrote:

: On Mon, 4 Nov 1996 pspangle at global.california.com wrote:

: >
: > On Sun, 3 Nov 1996, John Ross wrote:
: >
:  > > But my question relates to an intro on the film about what appeared to
:  > > be laboratory footage on rats that were dropped into an glass tank of
:  > > water and left to drown.
:  > >
:  > > The first rat was placed into the water and it swam around for
:  > > something like 30mins before it tired, gave up and drowned.
:  > >
:  > > The second rat was dropped in and just as it was tiring and about to
:  > > go under it was taken out. After a few minutes rest, it was dropped
:  > > back in, but this time it lasted about 15 hrs before it drowned. Or so
:  > > the voiceover was saying, suggesting that it was the "hope" of another
:  > > rescue that kept it going.
: >  >

: This does not say alot about the hope for humanity. Based on the new
: research on animal intelligence and feeling this is quite a heinous crime
: against them. Is suffering always made more valid by gains in
: information, or are we able to, instead, seek new ways to attain
: information that does not short-circuit our social morality?

Life is suffering.  All we really need to know is how to handle it.
Was it Steven Covey that said that once you realize that life is
difficult then it ceases to be a problem?

--
joel
watch me on tv!  Tell Yianni that you're my fan!