Dopamine CNS Pathways?

Mark Laubach laubach at biogfx.neuro.wfu.edu
Thu Nov 7 12:37:37 EST 1996

psyc002 at psyc.canterbury.ac.nz (Mike Christie) wrote:

>Hi,

>I'm currently trying to ascertain the exact projection sites/pathways in the brain
>for 2 major DA efferents.Currently I've got something that looks like this;

>Messolimbic pathway;
>	VTA (A10)=> Nucleus Accumbens ->Dorsal Hippocampus
>	-> Entorhinal cortex (-> frontal cortex?)

 [snip]

Don't know if you are interested in rats exclusively or higher mammals
as well, but VTA projects to more extensive parts of cortex in
primates.  Jon Kaas' group had a paper on this a few years ago in JCN.
The anatomy of rat VTA cortical projections, IMHO, has led to a good
deal of confusion about the role of DA in the primate brain.  I
remember a journal club we had here at Bowman Gray a few years ago
when I got into a disagreement with someone who believed that rat VTA
anatomy held for humans and argued that there was no DA in human
cortex outside of the prefrontal/limbic areas.  This j.c. was about
Parkinson's and I have felt for a long time that the effects of DA in
motor cortex, and also throughout the entire cortical mantle, are a
major part of what goes wrong in P.D.  Dwight German had a paper on
this anatomy in the late 1980s, if you are interested.

-Mark