Hippocampus - replies to a question

kenneth paul collins KPCollins at postoffice.worldnet.att.net
Fri Nov 8 18:47:10 EST 1996

First things first. Give your father a hug for me. His work gave me an early
toe-hold on the things discussed below. Second, does your association admit
amateurs?

As for what you've posted with respect to the position James Woodson took, my
position "agrees" with that of Dr. Woodson - that the hippocampus functions as
an intermediate-level "supersystem configuration generator" which "holds" the
supersystem "stable" while consolidation occurs. The easiest window into this
is via behavior. Loss of the hippocampi only results in deficits with respect
to the formation of new memories post lesion. If the memories were actually
stored in the hippocampi, then all memory would be wiped out with destruction
of the hippocampi.

As is discussed in AoK, Ap5, the hippocampi are also strongly involved with
the "metering out" of "reward", which they do in inverse proportion to a
stimulus set's relative "familiarity" - in inverse proportion to the degree to
which memory of the stimulus set is "consolidated" - or, in terms of the work
I've done, in proportion to relatively-small TD E/I(up) - as the relatively-
small TD E/I(up) is "whittled" down to a TD E/I-minimized state, and in
proportion to such. Cheers, ken collins