Dopamine knockout mice and the reproductive axis

Dag Stenberg stenberg at cc.Helsinki.FI
Thu Nov 14 06:05:56 EST 1996

Laurie Davison <ldavison at> wrote:
> it as a "dopamine knockout". My interest is predominantly in regard to
> the reproductive axis as in some seasonally breeding species, dopamine is
> a modulator of hypothalamo-pituitary function, supressing the axis during
> the non-breeding season. Mice and rats are not seasonal breeders, but
> similar supressions of gonadotropins and Prl may still apply... thus my
> interest. Could you possibly suggest a citation or two?

What I had was abstract 620.4 at the Annual Meeting of the Society for
Neuroscience beginning Saturday November 16 in Washington, DC.
This was a dopamine transporter knockout. Pituitaries were smaller
(anterior and intermediate lobe). D2 receptor density was decrease in
these. PRL vontent was 85% decreased in female pituitaries while GH was
reduced by 70% in both males and females. These are interpreted as the
results of hyperdomainergia due to the transporter inhibition. Ergo:
1) hypothalamic dopamine uptake is physiologically relevant, 2) dopamine
exerts a crucial control on pituitary gland development.
  Look in Medline for possible published work nby the authors: R.Bosse,
F.Fumagalli, C.Missale, M.Jaber, B.Giros, M.G.Caron. Caron apparently
boss. HHMI Labs, Cell Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham,
  Sorry have no time to find out for myself - give my last lecture for
this term (on circulation, nothing interesting even) in 10 min and
then off to the Neuroscience meeting...

Dag Stenberg     MD PhD                    stenberg at
Institute of Biomedicine		   tel: int.+358-9-1918532
Department of Physiology                   fax: int.+358-9-1918681
P.O.Box 9        (Siltavuorenpenger 20 J)
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki,Finland