Undergraduate Neurophysiology Lab

kenneth paul collins KPCollins at postoffice.worldnet.att.net
Mon Nov 18 01:44:56 EST 1996

Some further thoughts on M.A.D.

The "sleeves" should, of course have visible grids so
that they can be positioned on the body in standardized
fashion.

Of course, too, the more electrodes in the arrays, the
better. Modern multiplexing can economize with respect
to needed channels. But I'd really like to see the
full-blown "thousand"-channel neck, back, knee-down,
elbow-to-finger-tip versions.

The M.A.D. "trace" will be most-useful if it's
represented on a computer-monitor topographical map of
the body (just like a topographical map of the mountains
& valleys of, say, one's community, but depicting degree
of muscle activation rather than height above sea
level).
The images could be zoomed, and panned via a mouse,
touch screen,  or light pen. A graphics tablet could
also be connected so that the treating Clinician could
annotate, diagram, enhance, etc., and print copies of
all such stuff.

Standard anatomies, skelletal, musculature, nervous,
internal organs, could also be fed right into the
imagery, and could be intensity-adjusted, and mouse or
light-pen accessed, which would bring up catalogs of
pertinent info - like an expert system, or a patient's
prior history, or an athlete's baseline - all of this
would be to facilitate the Clinician's ability to
diagnose injuries.

(EMG's usefulness with respect to internal-organ
injuries would be a very-interesting thing to explore.
I'd not be surprised to discover that, once a
highly-refined database was developed, that
skeletal-muscle activation patterns do point subtlety to
internal disease. But, at this point, this is
speculative. You know, when one has an attack of
appendicitus, or Pneumo thorax, or gall stones, or
ulcers, or a green-apple stomach ache, one's posture
varies as one's skeletal musculature "suspension-bridge"
adjusts itself so that pressure is taken off the
"soreness". Well, in such muscle-activation dynamics,
there's a huge quantity of useful diagnosis info that's
currently going to waste. (I'd study this problem in a
minute, just to find out the extent of such usefulness.)
This technique could become something like "xrays" that
specifically target "the sore spot" :-). I mean, in the
muscle-activation data, there would be stereotypical
patterns that, through experience, would come to point
right to trauma in specific internal organs. Skeptical?
Think that internal pain is too-diffusely-organized?
I'll wager ($5.oo) that there's more than enough info.
Remember, the musculature forms a precisely-engineered
"suspension" system. Thousands of muscle fibers, each
one activated just so, contribute to the 3-Dimensional
"leveraging" of the body's posture so that the
pressure on the injured tissue will be minimized.
Remember your last back ache? Remember how, as your body
tended to hold a special posture, a set of muscles
became over-taxed, and the pain "shifted"? Well, M.A.D
will nail all of that down. "Movies" can be made of all
such "adjustment" dynamics, and these, too, will point
directly to the tissue damage with respect to which the
CNS is "striving" to minimize pain. All of this will be
directly-readable in this array-type EMG.

Such imagery can be presented in many useful "modes",
but variation from "normal" would form a
particularly-good basis for emergency diagnosis.
Injuries would stand right out on the computer image.

There's a =lot= more. One thing that comes to mind would
be battlefield applications of the mature technique.
Medics can't carry an xray machine around with them,
but a medic with a set of M.A.D. "sleeves", and a
ruggedized laptop could diagnose a lot of battlefield
injuries in the absence of xray.

{BTW, the neural basis for this M.A.D discussion is
given in footnote 11 of the paper version of the
"Automation of Knowing..." ms ("limping behavior";
I'm not certain, but it should be about the 11th
"button" in the hypertext version). Of course, the
technique is worth millions & millions, so folks might
imagine that, since this is just one more thing that I
feel shoulda coulda funded all of my research efforts on
behalf of the Children, that it's "curious" that I'm
still being relegated to the "garbage heap". What does a
man have to do to win his "Eagle"? It's all so "curious"
to me. It's like folks see me as some "alien
intelligence" that's completely divorced from all of the
human needs that folks experience. It's like I
invent stuff like M.A.D., and folks treat my work as
if it's their own work. It's all so curious. Yes,
because I feel an obligation to do so, and because it's
taken everything I had (financially) to just do the
inventing, etc., that I cannot "manufacture" this or
that that I've invented, I've put stuff into the Public
Domain. But is there no one, in all of Humanity, who
will give a man credit for the work he's done? It's all
so "curious" to me. I've loved folks well. I've Loved
the Children unfailingly. One day the Hatred I've
experienced as "reward" for the work I've done... one
day it's just going to break my heart. No one seems to
care. "Curious". If this's is the way things have got to
be, then so be it. The work must be done. It's just so
midnight hilarious, though. Sorry about "all this". One
of my obligations... the =only= one... is to Truth.
Whether or not Truth will be served in time to save my
breaking heart, Truth must still be promulgated.
Humanity's =only= Hope exists in Truth. Truth is my wish
for Humanity.) K. P. Collins