Visual cortex mapping?

Monica Hurdal hurdal at einstein.fsc.qut.edu.au
Wed Nov 20 01:14:40 EST 1996

On Mon, 18 Nov 1996, Doc Hambone wrote:

> My question for this newsgroup is - would such a map be consistent from
> person to person, or does each visual cortex differ, requiring a seperate
> mapping procedure for each patient?
> Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

In the past the mapping relationship between the visual cortex and the
visual field was only examined on a general basis and assumed to be the
same for everyone for simplicity reasons. However, MRI scans and PET scans
show there is considerable variability in the anatomy of the brain between
individuals, especially in the calcarine fissure of the visual cortex.
This variability includes shape and position. Recent investigations seem
to indicate that these individual differences must be taken into
consideration when mapping the visual cortex. Thus, depending on the
degree of accuary recquired, you would require a separate mapping
procedure for each patient.

Monica Hurdal
Monica K. Hurdal
School of Mathematics, Queensland University of Technology
G.P.O. Box 2434, Brisbane, Qld., AUSTRALIA 4001

Phone: (07) 3864-1287      International: +61 7 3864 1287
Fax:   (07) 3864-2310                     +61 7 3864 2310
WWW:   http://www.math.fsc.qut.edu.au/homepages/hurdal/monica.html
Email: m.hurdal at qut.edu.au