unconscious attention

kenneth paul collins KPCollins at postoffice.worldnet.att.net
Wed Nov 20 11:26:56 EST 1996

crosley at tcp.co.uk wrote:

>   Re "unconscious attention". A form of unconscious attention
>      is intention. Where attention refers to selection of input,
>      intention refers to selection of output. Thus many skilled
>      motor actions are controlled by a motor plan which intention
>      sets into effect. e.g. the golfer sets up his stance and then
>      for a good shot he allows his intention to take over. Too
>      much conscious attention to his shot results in a poor shot.
>
>      Accidents occur when intention inhibits attention. Thus the
>      motorist approaching a junction may observe that the other
>      road is clear and drive on, not perceiving that the car in
>      front is still stationary.
>
>      See my paper in press in J. Int. Psychophysiol. probably
>      published in December.

Nice touch: "See my paper in press in J. Int. Psychophysiol. probably
published in December." Between now & December, I'll "unconsciously
attend" to what you say about your paper being published :-).

On "intention": I agree with you. I once got sideways at speed on a
motorcycle because my "intention" was split between two alternatives.
I was on a favorite high-speed practice circuit, taking things out to
the edge in this safe place in order to prepare my nervous system (in
order to "learn") to make the necessarily-quick transitions that are
required when folks look a motorcyclist right in the eye and still
pull out in front of him (an example that is precisely in line with
the stuff of your msg, and which, as any experienced motorcyclist
knows, happens routinely).

Anyway, just as I was coming to a bifurcation point on this practice
circuit - a point where I'd either practice a high-speed left or right
turn, I overtook an extremely-slow vehicle that was proceding a bit
irratically - like they were lost. There was a moment of "indicision",
and wouldn't you know it? The course that I steered was precisely
between the 2 corning routes. Shortly thereafter was when things got
sideways a bit. Fortunately, my bike (Honda NT 650 GT "Hawk") was so
well engineered that when my "intentional" decision was worked out, a
tiny wrist motion brought the bike into a line beautifully. The bike
went where one thought (except on oil-soaked pavement, but that's
another story).

"Intentional" stuff =is= a form of "unconscious attention". Everything
that eventually makes it into "consciousness" has neural underpinnings
which has physical existence for easily-detectable periods =before=
this or that arises in consciousness (all of this stands verified
experimentally). In my example, above, such dynamics included
preparations for turning. A motorcycle constitutes particularly-
fertile grounds for a cognitive exploration of this stuff. If one
turns one's "attention" inward while riding at speed in the twisties,
one always "sees" immediately that one's body is "attending" to the
riding task in myriad ways. Every muscle of the body is adjusted just
so. The clearness of one's "consciousness" can only be described as
something "fierce" - all knife-edged (one of the reasons riding a
motorcycle is so rewarding). But when one looks "inward", one "sees"
that there is all of this beautifully-orchestrated "unconscious
attention" taking care of business, adjusting one's body posture in an
elegant "dance" that's choreographed in a fashion sculpted in
precision with respect to the meandering of the road, with respect to
the undulation of the surface, always on guard for traces of sand,
leaves, intruding vehicles, animals (there are no pedestrians on the
ride-at-speed routes, which is the result of more "unconscious
attention"). And throughout all of this, one's experiencing of the
look-of-the land is oft-times, heightened - little snippets of this or
that roadside scene are just burned into memory. I once came around a
bend the Berkshires and encountered two Bald Eagles that were feeding
on road kill. At my approach, one of them jumped hurriedly into
flight. My speed carried me right under this eagle while it was still
laboring to lift itself above my height. As I passed under it, it
extended its legs and struck out at me, all talons-bristling.

Throughout all of this, although I was at-speed, I'd adjusted my
course (good bike :-) to avoid the feeding national treasures, and
everything within me responded in the well-orchestrated way that was
required if all three parties, there were to have a good day. All of
this would have been flat-out impossible if it were not the case that
my nervous system was "unconsciously attending" to the demands of
riding at speed.

But one doesn't need a motorcycle to flat-out "see" "unconscious
attention". Such shows up on PET scans with respect to all manner of
cognitive functioning - typing at one's keyboard for instance. And
when one looks, one finds that errors which will unfold are
predetermined in the "subconscious" neural dynamics which precede
incorrect behavioral manifestations (AoK, Ap5: "dynamic suborinate
coupling" among sensory and motor mirror-image maps and "supersystem
reconfiguration" deriving from TD E/I(up) "mismatches). The thing is
settled =before= that which is referred to as "consciousness" happens.
If the thing that happens prior is denied, then one is required to
invoke some sort of nonsensical "magic" if one wishes to attempt to
explain "consciousness" (not that "consciousness" is not Wonderful
stuff).

All of this discussion which treats "consciousness" as something
that's, somehow, "disconnected" from the neural dynamics is "just"
flat-out Ignorant of the neural dynamics.

As always, everything that's been discussed here reduces to WDB2T
(what's described by the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics).

[Sidebar arising from within my ongoing "unconscious attention": I
suggest that Folks take a "minute" to consider how that which
transpires in this newsgroup will be viewed by future workers. All of
the "tests" will be "seen" for what they are. What are they? "Attend"
to your "unconsciousnesses" a bit. "Listen" to TD E/I(up/down). The
"tests" are hallmarks of Ignorance. And, after their weeping ceases,
the future folks will be midnight amused at how willingly folks have
trampled themselves... needlessly. I've been offering to lock myself
in the Neuroscience stacks with any group of inquisitors who might be
inclined to join me there. No takers. Just these "clever" "tests"
which attempt to sustain the dictatorial "rule" of this or that
merely-familiar Ignorant notion. ("PTOFA".) The best way is to procede
forthrightly. Human beings are capable of conversation, and when
there's something important to discuss, it's best to get together to
discuss such in person, like people do. These online "tests" are
futile because closure was achieved in DT the better part of two
decades ago. All that's happening with all these "clever tests" is
that the sad Truth is being writ large for the understanding of future
generations. They will see how it was that folks entrusted with
understanding chose to respond to such Trust in ways which only
perpetuated Savagery. Hey! Maybe that's it. Perhaps the community of
researchers decided a decade, or more, ago, to do a "Jamestown",
taking the whole of Earth's population with it, rather than accept
Forgiveness, and turn away from Ignorance? Yeah, that must be it. How
else can the possibility of "Yugoslavia"-like dynamics, armed with the
spill-over from the only-loosely-controlled "Soviet" nuclear arsenal
be explained. The community of researchers is involved in a deadly
Cover up. They are joined in it by "journalism", and steered into it
by non-elected "government" cadres... the "intelligence" community.
Gheesh. Looks like I'm going to die laughing... the "intelligence"
community :-)

Enough satire. If there's anyone, anywhere who wants to write a
different record for future folks to read, please, let's begin.]

ken collins