sperm selection by females

Teresa Binstock Teresa.Binstock at UCHSC.EDU
Fri Nov 22 15:43:37 EST 1996

Just to clarify my postion:

I realize that mammalian olfactory and vomeronasal tissues are involved
in perception of sexually significant chemosignals.

In addition, our skin, mouth, esophagus, bronchi, and nasal cavity have
cells whose primary purpose is sensing, evaluating, and reacting to (i)
self-molecules on each organisms cells, and (ii) molecules arriving from
sources exogenous to the organism.

These immunological cells are extremely sexually dimorphic. I believe
that a chemosensory model which omits immunological awareness is but a
subset of "chemosensory" -- eg, models whose proponents (i) demand
allegiance only to olfactory and vomeronasal tissues and (ii) enforce
that immunological tissues not be considered a legitimate and important
part of "chemosensory".

Teresa