Parkinsons-Pesticides

Stephan Anagnostaras stephan at psych.ucla.edu
Sat Nov 23 07:21:04 EST 1996

Yes, the good humor of this all is that MPTP, the toxin accidentally
produced in SF by drug "designers" making synthetic heroin and which
produces a severe Parkinson's syndrome, was actually developed by
Gulf chemical as a pesticide named Cyperquat.  It was never marketed,however,
because if lethal effects in animals.  The reason Paraquat and Diquat
have generated interest is because they are chemically very similar --
but, as far as I know, this isn't very interesting because they dont
produce Parkison's in animal models the way MPTP (and MPP+, which is
the active metabolite) does.

THe "cause" of most Parkinson's is not known <called "idiopathic" for,
my doctor is an idiot who likes big words :) JK! >
There are several theories, most
of which are ENVIRONMENTAL, not genetic.  Most genetic theories of Parkinson's
emphasize increased susceptibility to the environmental agents for one
reason or another, although some people believe that there is purely
genetic Parkinson's.

The only two confirmed causes of Parkinson's are both environmental:

1. one type of encephalitis virus

2. MPTP. The exact mechanism of MPTP toxicity is not known, except as
follows. MPTP is converted to MPP+ in melatonin cells (the black ones)
in the nigra, and then secreted where it is taken up by DA cells
and kills them. THe likely mechanism is that mitochondria are poisoned,
by messing up their ability to store calcium.  Because MPTP relies
on melatonin cells, it doesn't work in rats (which do not have black
nigras) but it MPP+ works fine.

(3) I think there is a recent report of confirmed genetic Parkinson's,
I wouldn't necessarily take this too seriously, since the question is
what proportion of the disease is caused by what, not whether or not
genetic causes MAY exist. This is similar to cancer, where although
genetic causes do exist for some cancers, for the most part genetic
contributions to cancer etiology are relatively small.  This may or
may not be the case with Parkinson's, but based on animal studies
where animal's are exposed to potent toxins of DA cells there isn't
really much variability in the susceptibility of the animals to the toxin
<but the question remains: do lots of these toxins really exist in
the environment?>

There are other toxins which have been developed which also kill dopamine
cells, the most notable is 6-hydroxydopamine which has been used in
animal models for years.  Exposure to these chemicals can produce a
severe Parkinsonism.

Now the story is, what proportion is caused by what. One idea is
genetic, the other essentially is an unknown list of environmental agents.
A number of epidemiological studies show that Parkinson's occurs in
pockets; this has been interpreted as environmental, but is actually
consistent with either explanation. More than likely, Parkinson's
has several major causes, at least one of which is probably
some kind of environmental toxin. This does not preclude the possibility
that a strict form of genetic Parkinson's may also exist, or the more
likely case that some genetic trait may make some people's SN cells
more susceptible to damage than others.

Cheers
Stephan