sperm selection by females

Jim Kohl jkohl at vegas.infi.net
Sat Nov 23 02:30:08 EST 1996

In article <Pine.SCO.3.95.961122092043.24042A-100000 at lex.lccc.edu>,
rcb1 at LEX.LCCC.EDU says...

>Nature 17 October 1996 pg 585.
>Swedish female sand lizards mate with any male.  Yet genetic
>analysis shows that conception is usually with the most distance
>males genetically speaking.
>
>Binstock and Kohl have suggested that human females prefer males
>that are immulogically dissimilar using olifaction.
>
>I would suggest that olifaction can work as a selection mechanism.

Chemosensory signal processing systems are generally believed to
help ensure that conspecifics mate for genetic diversity. There also are
several studies supporting speculation that this occurs in humans.

>Also olifaction may be the key for understanding killer sperms who sole
>job is to kill another's males sperms and increase the probability
>that a second person to mate will be the father.

There are receptors on sperm cells that are somewhat similar to olfactory
receptors in the nose.

Jim Kohl