Memory Drug (fwd)

Stephen Maren maren at umich.edu
Sun Nov 24 01:15:27 EST 1996

Jeff,

AMPA (alpha-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoaxozolepropionate) receptors are
a subclass of glutamate receptors.  The AMPAkines that have been recently
been discussed in the press increase the conductance of AMPA receptors by
prolonging the mean channel open time of the AMPA receptor's channel.
This allows presynaptically released transmitter (i.e., glutamate) to
exert an enhanced postsynaptic response.  Facilitated transmission at
"AMPAergic" synapses with has been reported to improve learning in rats
(and now memory in patients with Alzheimer's disease).

sm