Visual cortex mapping?

leochner at aol.com leochner at aol.com
Mon Nov 25 12:53:59 EST 1996

In article
<Pine.OSF.3.95.961120160457.14964A-100000 at einstein.fsc.qut.edu.au>, Monica
Hurdal <hurdal at einstein.fsc.qut.edu.au> writes:

>On Mon, 18 Nov 1996, Doc Hambone wrote:
>
>> My question for this newsgroup is - would such a map be consistent from
>> person to person, or does each visual cortex differ, requiring a
seperate
>> mapping procedure for each patient?
>> Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

In order to map out my seizure focus located in my occipital lobe plates
were placed on the right occipital area.  They then recorded the seizures
and did cortical stimulation.

When they did the stimulation of the area, I experienced a black spot that
I "saw" as if removed, there would be no sight in that area. The spot was
large at first, on the left side of the page.  They had a blank piece of
paper and I would mark where the black area was.  As they continued, the
spot moved closer to the middle and smaller.
The other things I experienced were hallunications, I saw a woman, it was
a very strange feeling.

As a thought, look into the stimulation done on the occipital lobe for
patients for epilepsy.  There may be information that could help you with
your questions.

They were unable to remove the seizure focus in that area, however, they
were able to remove the hippocampus.  I no longer have complex-partial
seizures.  The seizure focus in the occipital lobe is now controlled with
medication.

Hope this helps.

ML Leochner