Left/right brain integration

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 28 13:11:57 EST 1996

In <timmcn-2611961303140001 at dialup-81.minn.net> timmcn at minn.net (Tim
McNamara) writes:

>In article <329B10F3.699E at iac.net>, Perry Sill <psill at iac.net> wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know of any literature on a relationship between a)
deficits of
>>integration between the left & right brains, and b) personality? I am
>>interested in such formulations as they would apply to normal (not
>>split-brain or otherwise brain-damaged) subjects. Thanks in advance.
>
>The "left brain/right brain" model is primarily metaphoric and
>oversimplified.  Neuroscience research (PET scans, etc.) has indicated
>that many cognitive processes are in fact distributed across both
>hemispheres.  It appears that there is not a lot of data to uphold the
>notion that certain cognitive functions are restricted to one
hemisphere
>or the other, although some may *primarily* be accomplished in one
>hemisphere preferentially.  There may be age-related differences in
this,
>also.
>
>The "integration" of the hemispheres is the same in everyone unless
they
>have some defect caused congenitally or by injury.  Everyone has the
same
>cortical structures in the absence of disease or injury.  I am not
sure
>that personality disorders, style, etc. are observably related to
>hemispheric functioning.
>
>If anyone has references to refute my understanding (which I hope is
not a
>*misunderstanding*) I would appreciate receiving them.
>
>Tim
>
>--
>Just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there;
>Believe it if you need it or leave it if you dare.
>
>-Robert Hunter

Actually, there is continuing interest in subtle aspects of left/right
coordination: not only from the point of view of information exchange
between hemispheres but (increasingly seen as more important?) also re
tonic or phasic shifts in dominance.  There do seem to be left vs.
right hemisphere abilities and/or strategies, and ability of one
hemsiphere's activity to inhibit the other's activity in some
circumscribed activities may be important.

Jerre Levy is one name you might search foor re subtleties of
left/right competition or cooperation; also Eran Zaidel or his wife
(blocking on her name: Dahlia??).
Try Medline or other data base and search under "corpus callosum" for a
start.  n.b.: one line of interest is in relationship between callosal
thickness at different points from front to back and sex differences,
for example.

Frank LeFever (New York Neuropsychology Group)