Why dont we hear/see individual neural firing events??

Danny Banks D.Banks at surrey.ac.uk
Tue Oct 1 15:23:17 EST 1996

> > radams2000 at aol.com (RAdams2000) enunciated:

[snip]

> > why dont we
> > >hear the collection of firing events as noise?? The standard argument
> > >seems to be that if you average (filter) some number of these fibers,
> > >the "noise" would be eleiminated, but a few basic calculations show
> > >that even a few thousand fibers averaged with a time constant on the
> > >order of a millisecond would only have a signal-to-noise ratio of
> > >40 dB or so; not exactly hi-fi!

[snip]

(e-mailing and posting, since no news seems to be leaving our server at the
moment but I thought the group would be interested).

I recall an article in a magazine or journal not too long ago that suggested
that some signal analysis systems could benefit from having a specific
level of noise in them; i.e. that there was an optimal noise level for
processing the signal - too little or too much noise would cause the
performance of the system to suffer. The ear / auditory system was presented
as an example of such a system.

Unfortunately I can't remember what journal or magazine this was in. I seem
to recall that some mathematical analysis was presented to support the
article, so it could have been a decent scientific publication :-/

Danny.

--
Danny Banks.                                               D.Banks at surrey.ac.uk
------------ http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/D.Banks/index.html -----------