semantic categorisation and movement

Kerry Bennett kerryb at gas.sci.monash.edu.au
Wed Oct 2 18:21:05 EST 1996

Thank-you for this contribution

Prior to the main experiment we tested 15 other participants for 42
stimuli on three perceptual features: familiarity, visual complexity,
and visual agreement. The pictures were all obtained from a reasonably
standardised set(Snodgrass and Vanderwart, 1980). From these 42 we
selected 30 which were comparable across these three features; that is,
all (irrespective of category) were highly familiar, not very complex
and agreed with the mental representation of the object.

One contributor who contacted us privately via email has suggested to
look at 'hardness' vs 'softness', and aspects of linear composition of
the stimuli. This same contributor has also suggested using words to
tease out whether it is a semantic effect or a perceptual effect.