electronic brain stimulation

kenneth paul collins KPCollins at postoffice.worldnet.att.net
Sat Oct 5 02:27:12 EST 1996

Marge Congress wrote:

> Students at my high school need information about electronic brain
> stimulation... is it a frequent course of therapy for any diseases,
> what is done to the patient, what are the results, where can we find
> other information about it.
>
> TIA

such stimulation was pioneered by Wilder Penfield 20-30 years ago, and
is done only during surgery with respect to existing neurological
conditions, such as epilepsy... the stimulation is very-useful because
it enables the surgeon to map the surgical plan so as to minimize
needless loss of function... a side benefit of this useful procedure is
that it provides generalizable mapping information with respect to "the"
brain...

ESB is not to be confuses with EST (electro-shock-"therapy") in which a
current is applied across the temples in efforts to blast folks out of
psychological "states" that are deemed, by societal consensus, to be
"undesireable"... ken collins