electronic brain stimulation

kenneth paul collins KPCollins at postoffice.worldnet.att.net
Sat Oct 5 17:50:51 EST 1996

Brian Scott wrote:

> In article <32560DD0.13DC at postoffice.worldnet.att.net>,
> kenneth paul collins  <KPCollins at postoffice.worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> >ESB is not to be confuses with EST (electro-shock-"therapy") in which a
> >current is applied across the temples in efforts to blast folks out of
> >psychological "states" that are deemed, by societal consensus, to be
> >"undesireable"... ken collins
>
> Steady on there buddy!  I've been told that ECT (EST) has been shown to
> be of help in clinically depressed patients which otherwise don't respond to
> drug therapy.  These people are in bad shape and suicide is a definite
> possibility for them.  You make it sound like it's a bunch of Jack-booted
> thugs eliminating the poor!

...I stand on what I posted... the suicide danger is =real=, but ECT (thank
you) is not the route to amelioration of such... the suicide danger is real
because of all of the garbage that Ignorance has heaped up with respect to
"depression"...

...ECT is used without there first being any understanding of what "depression"
is... ECT is a =guess=... it "works" by jolting the nerual architecture so
violently that physical realtionships within the neural architecture are
literally restructured... the result is an =illusion= of "effectiveness" when
all that's occurred is that the neural architecture has been "adjusted" to the
extent that it's rendered non-functional with respect to formerly-acquired
memories... what good is such...? "the" nervous system "just" begins
immediately to repair the ECT-produced physical damage, and as such occrus, old
memories are reestablished... and, with them, comes the recurrence of the
"depression" that was "swept under a rug" rather than being dealt with through
an understanding of what it is...

ECT is no "therapy" at all...

...ECT is just a cheap-in-terms-of-acquired-professional-competence, sadistic
means to the collection of payments from insurance companies...

ECT is quackery... ECT is like trying to fix a fuel-injection system with a
12-lb sledgehammer...

...what's referred to as "depression" should be dealt with from an
understanding of what it is... K. P. Collins