GABA(B) localization in hippocampus?

Hannah Dvorak hdvorak at cns.caltech.edu
Sat Oct 5 17:39:52 EST 1996

In article <52s1jv$8c3 at fremont.ohsu.edu>, jonesmat at ohsu.edu says...

>In article <52hq0c$o02 at gap.cco.caltech.edu> Hannah Dvorak,
>hdvorak at cns.caltech.edu writes:
>>Does anyone know if the distribution of GABA(B) receptors in the
>>hippocampus has been determined?  A reasonably comprehensive
>>literature search turned up studies of localization of GABA(B)
>>receptors in cerebellum, vestibular nucleus, central auditory
>>system of the brown bat, and rat GI tract, but nothing from the
>>hippocampus.
>
>Hi Hannah,
>
>I'm interested to know what kinds of techniques were used in those
>localization studies. The GABA-B receptor hasn't been purified or cloned
>yet, and I wasn't aware of any antibodies against it. I'm also guessing
>it is hard to do autoradiographic binding because it has a pretty low
>affinity as G-protein coupled receptors go. So that leaves
>electrophysiological techniques mainly, right?

Actually, I'm familiar with the electrophysiology results, that's why
I was hoping to hear about other methods.  The techniques in the studies
I alluded to above vary: they include using radiolabeled GABA (having
previously applied something called isoguvacine to block GABA(A) sites),
radiolabeled baclofen, an antibody against baclofen, and even a mAb
raised against the GABA(B) receptor (K. Nakajima et al., 1996).  Some
other readers have pointed me to the work of N. Bowery for localization
in hippocampus, but I haven't gotten around to looking those references
up yet. :(

Thanks for the info!

- Hannah Dvorak

--