Please advise me on the choice of a graduate course.

Tatsuto Ishimaru tatsuto.ishimaru at christ-church.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Oct 8 13:20:19 EST 1996

Dear Sir,
I am a Sewnior Biochemistry student at the University of Oxford, UK.  I
am planning to further continue the academic work to obtain Ph.D in US.
Although of biochemical background, my interests lies in neuroscience,
especially in the subject of neurogenesis and plasticity in mammalian
embryo, child and adult.  A central question I have is why and
how neurons are different from other cell types such as
epithelial cells.  Preferably I would like to study signalling
and cell cycle involved in neurogenesis, but I am not certain if there
are other more exciting themes in the subject. My interests
originates from possibilities of cure for spinal injuries such as  spina
bifida.

ALthough I am determined to enter an American graduate program, I have
little informations concerning which course to choose.  I nanother
occasion, I have been advised to consider Neuroscience program in
UCLA, but I would like  to know  more excellent programs in neuroscience,
especially the area of NEurogenesis.
Upon these standpoint,  Could I ask you to advise me on the
following points, please?
 1) Which universities have a strong research team(S) in the area of
    neurogenesis?
 2) Should I choose a Neuroscience program, or do Biology,
    Developmental  Biology or Cell and Molecular biology suit me better?

Thank you very much for your kind consideration.
						Sincerely yours,
						Tatsuto ISHIMARU