Brain Wave Monitor

Jeroen Schaap Schaap at rullf2.medfac.leidenuniv.nl
Wed Oct 9 07:08:30 EST 1996

In article <01bbaf90$75c644a0$b3b3989e at marzipan.demon.co.uk>,
   "Jonathan Baker" <jon at marzipan.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Hello all.  I apologise for posting this to multiple groups but I
believe
>any/all of you could help me.
>
>I'm studying states of consciousness and the brain, and would like to
build
>a brain wave monitor.  THis should be a fairly simple but sensitive
radio
>receiver but I can not find any information about the frequencies
emmited
>by the brain during different states - alpha, gamma etc.
>
>After studying the frequencies emmited during certain activities I hope
>be able to stimulate the brain using EM waves during sleep to induce
>different types of dreams.
>
>If anyone has any thoughts on the subject, or think they could help
please
>appropriate to the group.
>
>Thanks

You're not the first trying to measure state of mind. I dunno if YOU
know that, but there is a lot of groups in the world measuring EEG
signals and by analyzing these signals on frequency-amplitudes trying to
say something about the state of mind, usually sleep. So different
frequency-groups correlate with different states of sleep. Nevertheless,
this classification is not that simple to do, you need some experience
to 'score' EEGs.
	Even than, you have your EEGs and your scores, but that doesn't
tell you anything about state of consiousness apart from the state of
sleep. Do you want to define consiousness? I wouldn't like to do so.
Better leave this for future scientists.
	So, troubles enough at the measuring part. But than..... You
propose to give feedback to the brain by EM waves!!!!!!!!!! My first
reaction is: If you succeed, gratz and warn me. We will work together
and get real  rich by selling your technique! Serious: no change at all.
Brains don't take EM waves as an input. Neurotransmitters and other
chemicals but also synaptic contacts do. Not EM waves. You could
possibly, if you intend to do so, but not supported by any even
circumstantial evidence, imagine EM waves to modulate in a certian yet
to be defined way, membrane potential of individual cells. BUT it is
even harder to even imagine these disturbances could be remotely large
enough to influence neuronal activity. Even than the question remains
whether you could elicit a specific reaction like a dream. (Please tell
me the definition of a dream.)

My conclusion is, please do some more research work before trying to
modificate dreams by EM waves. Better start at the level of chemicals.
There exist some chemicals which in fact do alter the state of
consiousness. Quit an interesting area.

Success!

Jeroen