electronic brain stimulation

Dave Curtis dcurtis at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Wed Oct 9 22:40:41 EST 1996

Brian Scott wrote:

> >ESB is not to be confuses with EST (electro-shock-"therapy") in which a
> >current is applied across the temples in efforts to blast folks out of
> >psychological "states" that are deemed, by societal consensus, to be
> >"undesireable"... ken collins
>
> Steady on there buddy!  I've been told that ECT (EST) has been shown to
> be of help in clinically depressed patients which otherwise don't respond to
> drug therapy.  These people are in bad shape and suicide is a definite
> possibility for them.  You make it sound like it's a bunch of Jack-booted
> thugs eliminating the poor!

Steady on there Brian! If you check out a few other posts in this group
ou will quickly discover that Ken Collins is, as we psychiatrists like
to put it, mad. Best let it go, I should say.

--
Dave Curtis                     Tel   : +44-171-377-7729
Dept Adult Psychiatry           Fax   : +44-171-377-7316
3rd Floor Outpatient Building   Email : dcurtis at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Royal London Hospital           WWW   :
http://www.gene.ucl.ac.uk/~dcurtis/
Whitechapel, London E1 1BB, UK