Cephalization and Intelligence

S. Smith / R. Bourgeois suzannes at vir.com
Thu Oct 10 22:00:25 EST 1996

Gord,

I appreciate the difficulty in defining "intelligence".  However, I am not
looking to split hairs over semantics either.  I'll restate my question
then.... Is encephalization an a_priori requirement for a species capable
of technological advances?  I suppose this is a question involving
theoretical limitations.  Do advanced thought process absolutely require
the transmission speeds of neurons stuck close together within a few
centimeters in a brain case?  Any speculation on the subject would help me.
Thanks again.

Ray