micro mods to neurons

kenneth paul collins KPCollins at postoffice.worldnet.att.net
Mon Oct 14 18:21:36 EST 1996

kenneth paul collins wrote:

> ...neurons tend to atrophy if they are not included in activation
> states... and with robust inclusion, they undergo hypertrophy...

...since this topic's come up, might as well extend it a bit to
make an important point... or at least =try= to...

...within our brains, the trophic dynamics that are referred to
above are rigorously-correlated with experience... this means that
if something is not within an individual's experience, that
individual will not have developed any neural hypertrophy with
respect to that which is not within the individual's experience...

...as a result, the individual will not be able to think thoughts
pertaining to the thing that is not within the realm of the
individual's experience...

...which, Dear Reader, is why Duality Theory's understanding is so
"discounted" among "neuroscientists"... the problem, here, is in
how grad students are =forced= to conform to the status quo at
particular graduate institutions... and since the professors at
these institutions are so caught up in publishing this or that new
result, the professors drag their grad students along on their wild
good chases (forgive me... there are pursuits that are not such,
but they are few and far between, aren't they)... the grad
students' experience results in the development of neural
activation "states" (experience-driven neural hypertrophy) that
pertains =not= to Neuroscience in general, but to the =narrow=
"band" of stuff that held their professors' interests while they
were students...

...because of this dictatorial stance on the parts of
"neuroscience" professors (which, it has long seemed to me arises
out of "professional jealousy"... out of a desire to keep the grad
students from becoming strong competitors... man-o-man! what
Ignorant B. S.!), grad students never even begin to study
=Neuroscience=... they study only some minor subset... yes, yes,
yes general Neuroanatomy and Neurophysiology courses are taken, but
these do not even begin to convey a sense of their respective
subjects... what's needed is to give grad students =wide= and
=detailed= experience in Neuroscience... what's needed is to study
widely in the library...

...this failing, the grad students pick up their degrees without
having ever experienced that which would drive the neurons of their
brains with respect to Neuroscience... as a result of this, we have
what's been going on here in bionet.neuroscience... folks who are
unable to think Neuroscience's thought because they've never even
experienced Neuroscience...

...and, yet, here are such folks roundly beating up on that of
which they are Ignorant :-)

...I can't "blame" such folks... they are =victims= of their
experience after all... but I can, and must, call them to task with
respect to their Ignorance, and insist that they not inflict their
Ignorance upon innocent others in the same way that their
professors inflicted Ignorance upon them... failure, here, is
tantamount to manslaughter...

...there is an unusual aspect of Duality Theory's understanding...
it is that, if the understanding is attacked and/or rejected,
before it is understood, the theory's position becomes
substantiated in the very act of "rejecting" it... (for those who
have it, see AoK, Ap10)...

...so to Lee, and Colleen, and Sean, although with all my "heart,
I would have had things unfold otherwise, I must say, sadly,
=thanks= for your support... ken collins