Filter neuroscience group

Sven Haul Sven.Haul at uni-duesseldorf.de
Tue Oct 15 14:53:39 EST 1996

In article <53vn9t$obv at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>,
   R.H.Arnott at sheffield.ac.uk (Robert Arnott) wrote:
>Dear All,
>
>Is it possible to filter posts to this group?
[...]  I have a feeling I am describing unix news reader-style 'kill'
>files

Exactly. Killfiles are incorporated in many non-Unix newsreaders as
well. For example, News Express (Windows, Free, by
kenng at HongKong.Super.Net, found on many ftp-servers)
or Forte Agent (~$29 I think, Windows, www.forteinc.com) can do the
trick, and I'm sure there are many others. The setup is quite simple:
I kill everything with "cash" in it (notation: .*cash.*), as well as
"money" etc.

For the Mac, I don't know any specific program, as I don't use a Mac
:-)

If you receive your news via E-mail, it is a bit more difficult. You
can ask your network administrator if they can set up a "procmail
filter" for you. You will, however, have to telnet (Terminal via
Internet) to the mailserver to adjust the killfile, according to new
boring threads).
Alternatively, it might be possible to find an e-mail client that is
able to

a) download the mail-headers, disconnect, and fetch only the ones
marked to read and
b) do this marking automatically due to an killfile

Maybe, Forte Agent might do the trick, but I don't use it personally,
because I have direct LAN internet access.

Hope that helps,
Sven

--
Sven E. Haul                             Heinrich-Heine-University
Institute of Neurophysiology             Duesseldorf, Germany