An Open Letter to Neuroscience

Stephan Anagnostaras stephan at psych.ucla.edu
Tue Oct 15 03:20:44 EST 1996

No, that's not why.  You present yourself as the messiah of neuroscience;
you have ideas that are not based on other people's work, and seem to
be invented out of thin air. This is the hallmark of a bad scientist. There
is no such thing as a visionary in science, only innovators. The worst thing
is that you actually do sound manic with talk as "I will bring the
truth to neuroscience," " the great fight," etc. I have been around a lot
of psychiatric patients, and I'm not kidding that I hear the same kind of
stuff all the time.

If you have a half-way decent article, you will not have any trouble
getting it published somewhere; sure you mgiht have trouble in a good
journal, but given how easy it is to get a paper accepted in some bad
journals at the very least you should have published this stuff. Of course,
the problem is you don't have any experiments, just vague nutty ideas
which are dreamed out of thin air.

Personally, I'm sick of your uninformed posts, to people who need
accurate information.  For example, someone recently asked about what
the hippocampus does to which you made a long, complicated and
nonesensical response.  This is in the face that a great deal is known
about what the hippocampus does, because people have been doing experiments
on it for at least 45 years.   What's worse, your overconfident tone
in your posts (also not the hallmark of a scientist) might actually be
taken by a newbie as being a sign that you know what you're saying.

Anyway, I'm wasting my time with you, since I'm just part of the
conspiracy against you.

Stephan