Collins and "Duality Theory"

Benjamin Rusak rusak at IS.DAL.CA
Wed Oct 16 14:43:05 EST 1996

        I think that most Neuroscience List subscribers should have
concluded by now that trying to argue the nuts and bolts details of
Collins' "Duality Theory" is a waste of effort (and bandwidth). Essentially
all of the postings related to this thread for the last few weeks could be
classed as useless as far as exchanging information or ideas. Personal
insults and ex cathedra declarations don't (for me) fall into the category
of either information or ideas.
        It appears to me that Collins is a very articulate, intelligent and
troubled person. I object, however, to attempts at diagnosis over email,
and most certainly to attempts at prescribing treatments, however
sarcastically intended. Indeed, I doubt if any of the posters who have
engaged Collins in long-winded, acerbic exchanges would have done so if he
were not so well-spoken. This articulate quality gives the impression of a
serious potential scientific contributor, who should presumably be engaged
in discussion and debate. The reality has been, however, that the
contributions on Collins' part have revealed only a disturbed person who
thrives on the attention and exchanges afforded through this medium.
Neither attacking him nor writing sarcastic responses will alter his views,
nor will they encourage him to stop sending his unhelpful messages to this
list. As long as the list remains unmoderated, I suggest the only approach
likely to help is simply to ignore his posts and not get sucked into
fruitless, and generally meaningless, arguments of a personal nature that
merely clutter up everyone's mailbox.
        I know that it will be very difficult for me to restrain myself,
but to set a good example, I will not answer whatever response this message
may evoke.

Benjamin Rusak, Professor                            Email: rusak at is.dal.ca
Psychiatry, Psychology and Pharmacology    Phone/Fax: (902) 494-2159
Faculty of Science Killam Professor               Fax: (902) 494-6585
Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada  B3H 4J1