Hippocampus

Simon Schultz schultz at axp01.mrc-bbc.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 16 15:46:56 EST 1996

On 16 Oct 1996, Matt Jones wrote:

> In article <53rioi$iib at newsbf02.news.aol.com> Leochner, leochner at aol.com
> writes:
> >sharing.  When I saw there was a new message in Hippocampus I expected
> >something more than information telling me I made a BOO BOO!!
>
> Do not let one person's *unpublished opinion* of how the hippocampus
> operates (not to mention the entire brain and the total of all human
> endeavors, as he keeps reminding us) detract from your valuable
> first-hand experience. Think of the progress we could make if every
> neuroscientist could experience life without half a hippocampus  (for a
> week).
>
> Cheers,
> Matt

I for one was very interested to read the post from the hippocampal patient
(perhaps sufficiently to postpone my unsubscription from this group for
a while!). The emotional affects were interesting -- a classical medial
temporal-lobe lesion. (Note for those not familiar with the literature:
the emotional effects of such lesions are now thought to be due to
amygdala damage during a surgical lesion).

Anyway, I join with the several other posters in thanking this person for
his contribution.

Simon.